Find out how to manage mold and mildew allergies. Learn how you can help reduce mold in your home by keeping it dry.
1. What it is
Mold grows in damp areas and reproduces through tiny, airborne spores.
2. When it is in season
Indoor mold can be a problem throughout the year.
3. What to watch out for
Any wet surfaces will attract mold and aid in reproduction. Areas to look out for include: basements, bathrooms, shower stalls, refrigerator drip trays, houseplants, humidifiers and garbage pails.
4. What to know
Mold thrives in temperatures of 41º to 100º degrees Fahrenheit.
5. What to do
The key to reducing mold is to keep your home dry:
- Fix leaky faucets and pipes
- Make sure rooms are properly ventilated
- Use a vented exhaust fan to remove excess moisture
- Keep humidity levels below 50% with air conditioners and dehumidifiers
- Use cleaning solutions designed to kill mold and mildew