|5 Ways to Reduce your Child’s Indoor Allergies »|
Mold & Mildew Allergies
If you’re allergic to molds, stay far away from them. Inhaling mold spores can cause symptoms such as sneezing or a runny nose. Mold can even affect non-allergic people.
What it is
Mold reproduces through tiny, airborne spores. Indoor molds grow in damp areas.
What to watch out for
Any wet surfaces in the home will attract mold and aid in reproduction. Areas to look out for include: basements, bathrooms, shower stalls, refrigerator drip trays, house plants, humidifiers and garbage pails.
What to do
The key to reducing mold is to keep your home dry:
• Fix leaky faucets and pipes
• Make sure rooms are properly ventilated
• Use a vented exhaust fan to remove excess moisture
• Keep humidity levels below 50% with air conditioners and dehumidifiers
• Use cleaning solutions designed to kill mold and mildew