|Mold & Mildew Allergies »|
Dust Mite Allergies
Dust mites are attracted to fabric and many other surfaces throughout your home. Even though you can’t see them, chances are, they’re all over.
What it is
These tiny creatures are perhaps the most common cause of recurrent allergies, and can trigger symptoms similar to pollen allergies. The proteins in the dust mite’s droppings cause the allergic reaction.
What to watch out for
Dust mites thrive in mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, carpeting and any other household fabrics, such as curtains and drapes.
What to do
• Reduce clutter and dust with a damp cloth each week
• Use high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters for vacuuming and air filtration
• Use synthetic mattress pads and pillows
• Use zippered dust-proof covers on mattresses and pillows
• Wash sheets and blankets in hot water each week
• Avoid wool and feather-filled comforters
• Avoid upholstered furniture and blinds
• Minimize carpeting if possible
• Choose washable curtains, rugs and blankets